WINRAR comes out with a feature of splitting larger RAR file archives into several smaller pieces. To extract the entire RAR file, all the smaller piece of RAR archives must be extractable. In case, many of these (more than one) smaller pieces are missing, then such RAR archive file cannot be completely re-assembled. This article help you how to extract partial RAR file that doesn’t have all pieces in it.
Assuming that you are running Windows XP or later versions and have installed WinRAR application. This tutorial works well even with RAR files containing video data. There are two ways by which you can extract partial RAR files. The first method is the manual method, which you yourself must do it. Whereas the second method is the automated process wherein you need to rely on some powerful third party utility like Remo Repair RAR.
At often, all the RAR archive files that are been split are suffixed with .r01, .001, or simply .part01 (Here .r01, .001, and .part01 are the first part of the RAR file). WinRAR extracts and then assembles files in the temp folder (Windows temporary folder). Here in this mechanism, we try to extract files from RAR archives where all pieces are not present. Here is the procedure to extract partial RAR file:
- Double click on one of the archive files or else open it manually (using WinRAR application)
- Now, ask WinRAR program to extract the RAR file somewhere on your system.
- Then, an error message will popup saying all the pieces are not present to complete the extraction. After you get this error message, do not close the window!! Keep it open and proceed with the further step.
- Now, navigate to the temporary directory for your username. For Windows XP and Windows 2000, the temporary directory would be:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp.
For Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 is:
- If this temporary directory is full, then look for a directory called Rar$***** (* indicates any character). The naming convention may be different between versions. If you have trouble in finding this directory, then try searching the temporary directory for the file that you are trying to extract (Press CTRL + F and then give the file name).
- Once you find the file, copy it to your desktop or another safe directory outside your temporary folder.
- The file that you have extracted must be the combined contents of the archive pieces you have available at the time of extraction process.
Limitations of this method:
There are limitations in this method. Please read these before trying with this method, or else it could be a waste of time in trying this method.
- The images and text files are always compressed. So, the output will be completely useless without all parts present, since WinRAR performs decompression at the last step. In addition, you cannot use this method to extract password protected files in case you do not know the password.
- Only up to the last sequential piece the data will be extracted. For example, if you have pieces .001, .002, .003, .006, and .008 of a 10-piece archive, then the extraction will halt after the extraction of first three pieces.
So, it is better to go with the second method to extract the partial RAR files. Here is the second method of extracting incomplete RAR files.
Method 2: Extracting partial RAR file using Remo Repair RAR tool
The perfect way of extracting incomplete RAR files is by utilizing Remo Repair RAR software. Corrupted, broken, password protected, and partial RAR files can be extracted with this amazing tool. The demo version of the software is available for free download to rate its adequacy in advance before purchasing. Moreover, Remo Repair RAR tool is compatible with Windows XP, 2000, Server 2003 and 2008, Windows 7, Vista, Windows 8, and Windows 10. The procedure to extract partial RAR files using this software is-
- Download and install Remo Repair RAR on your Windows computer. Then, launch the application by double-clicking its icon.
- From the main screen click on “Browse” option to choose the RAR file that is to be extracted. Now, start the repair process by clicking on “Repair” button.
- Now, you can monitor the repair process by looking at the progress bar.
- Once the software completes repairing partial or corrupt RAR file, it displays all the files and folders from the RAR file. Now, click “Next” button.
- At last, save the repaired RAR files at your desired location by clicking “Save” button.
The free demo version is available, where you can repair the corrupt or partial RAR files and view the repaired RAR files. But, demo version does not have an option to save the repaired file. So, you need to purchase the licensed edition, which is cost effective to save the repaired RAR files at your destination location.